Friday, October 14, 2011

Gender Roles


Talking about gender stereotypes this week has made me think about how much it plays a big part in all of our lives. Whether we accept them or not I believe that we are born with certain qualities and attributes and many are correlated with gender. I'm not saying that all girls and boys fall under the same categories but I think that gender contributes to how we behave. Women do tend to more nurturing and caring. I think they should be able to stay home and care for their children.  Since men are usually more aggressive and competitive I think that helps them in the work place. When we identify these differences and embrace them I feel that we can fulfill our roles to a better capacity.
At the same time I feel that if women are better at something that typically a man should do, that shouldn't stop her from doing it, and vice versa. For example if the wife can fix the car her husband shouldn't stop her just because he feels that's a man's job; or if a man is better at cooking I think he can spend more time in the kitchen.There is nothing wrong with sharing roles as long as we are good at what we do. We are all unique and have always been even in the preexistence. I don't think we need to dissolve the roles but we should embrace what we are good at.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on this - that we should embrace differences, but also continue doing what we are good at. Those are talents and gifts from God, but when we use them just to prove equality between sexes...I'm quite sure that isn't what He intended.

    ReplyDelete