Friday, October 7, 2011

Immigration to Interracial

Growing up in Los Angeles I was always confused about my own "culture". I am "white" but I never felt it. My family was as white as you can get in skin color (until we married other races) but we shared so many customs that other cultures had. Growing up most of my friends were Polynesian, Hispanic, Asian, or African American. Even though my home ward was so diverse we were all very close and shared a lot of the same values and beliefs; not just in the Gospel but how we acted and treated each other as well. My family is also very diverse. I feel I relate to other "cultures and races" better than my own caucasian race.
I think it's important not to judge people on first impressions. To really know where someone is coming from you must get to know their background. At first glance I look like another white girl but I don't feel I belong in that category.

No comments:

Post a Comment