Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Communication, it is just our words?

Apparently not! Our words only make up about 7% of what we say. Meaning how we say it and the non-verbal cues we give are so much more important! This really makes me think twice about what I am really communicating to those around me. Especially since a lot of out communicating is done "virtually" over text, facebook, even this blog. All you can see are the words I type, you can't hear the tone in which I am writing nor can you see any non-verbal gestures. I want to avoid making this kind of communication my main medium of talking with people. I think we should try to remain as personable as we can. Talking to people one on one, and having eye contact, these are all so important. Traits I'm worried will become extinct if we stay behind our computer screens and cell phones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment