Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Family Crisis

I guess I have never really thought about how I or my family handles a crisis, we just do. I think it's safe to say that most people just take things as the come especially crises. I mean you hardly have time to sit and think "uh this is an urgent problem, how am I going to deal with this". Life keeps going whether your in a good spot or not. I really like the chart in our text book that explained the types of stressor: Internal (starts within the family) or External (outside sources cause the stress), Normative (normal stressors that happen to most people i.e. marriage, raising children) or Nonnormitive( unexpected events like divorce, or war), Ambiguous (unclear about what is causing the tension in the home) or Nonabiguous (there are clear facts and events), Volitional (freely chosen events school, a job, starting a family) or Nonvolitional (things that are not sought out like being laid off), Chronic (long term like cancer) or Acute ( short things like failing a test), Cumulative (things building on each other making things worse) or Isolated (one very specific event)

I've learned that even though everyone goes through trials and crises, it's our attitude that really matters. A family can go through the exact same stressor but they can each take it SO differently. I know it can be hard but I think we should look for opportunities to strength our family in times of stress instead of pulling apart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment